Pikachu is one of the most lovable and adorable characters from the Japanese based show/media franchise, Pokemon!
For an extreme rookie like me, making these ears were relatively easy. I’m pretty sure a young child is capable of making these ears too hahhaha….. that’s how easy it is 🙂
- Yellow and black felt (I used foam because I had some left over from my Minnie costume last year)
- Hot glue gun, scissors, pencil
- Random ear clip ons
1) Find a random animal ear headband or clip on. The most important part is that it is sturdy, it doesn’t matter what type of animal it is. We will be gluing it over.
I found some bunny ear clip ons for mine!
The idea is to basically wrap the original animal ears with yellow felt. It took me three tries to finally get an ear shape that I liked.
2) After finding a shape that you like, continue to trace and cut four ears out.
3) Now comes the fun part- gluing! I would recommend gluing the front part of your bunny ears first, or else you risk gluing higher than you actually meant to in the back (which means a lot of the white bunny ear part would show in the front or you would have uneven ears).
Be careful to check where you are gluing before you actually do it, once you add in the hot glue gun, you won’t have much time for changes!
I also marked down which felt edge should match up with the other felt edge, to prevent myself from accidentally flipping one side and making it asymmetrical.
4) The hardest part is now done! That wasn’t too bad right? 🙂 Next up is just the black tips on Pikachu’s ears. For this, I traced the finished yellow ears onto a piece of scrap paper and drafted up some designs on how I wanted the tips to look.
After I drew a black ear tip that I was happy with on the scrap paper, I cut it out and traced it onto the black foam and hot glue gunned them on.
You are also welcome to use black felt, construction paper, black tape, marker, etc etc. I felt that construction paper wouldn’t be as durable, and felt that marker may look a bit ugly or uneven with my art ability. Construction paper and marker tips might get damaged or smudge if it begins to rain and you’re outside…
And there you have it! Super easy Pikachu ears for those who don’t want to sew.
Happy early Halloween!
Minnie and Mickey Mouse DIY Costume from Halloween 2013!